Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely ladies at The Broke and the Bookish for all of us that love lists. This week's topic is Top Ten Mean Girls. I had to really give it some thought, since I would probably choose a slightly more, ummm, colorful word to describe most of these women (rhymes with "stitch, if you know what I mean). I only got up to eight before I ran out of time, but they are pretty representative of the type, I think!
1. Miss Hilly from The Help-I don't know if it was her shocking-by-today's-standards racism, or just her general mean-spiritedness, but she was a character I loved to hate.
2. Cruella Deville from 101 Dalmations-A fur coat from puppies, do I really need to explain more than that?
3. The Trunchbull, from Matilda-She was the headmistress from Hell, until Matilda gave her her comeuppance!
4. Lady MacBeth, from, well, you know where-I don't care how bad she felt about it later (out, damned spot!), she started that whole miserable mess.
5. Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest-What a horrible, nasty, cruel person she was!
6. Mrs. John Dashwood from Sense and Sensibility-Her greed and general snootiness make her a perfect Vistorian mean girl!
7. Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter-Again with the racism! Muggles unite!
8. The White Witch from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe-The movie version of her was exactly as I envisioned her when I read the books back in the early 1980s. Haughty and cruel.