Pages

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Sunday, September 12, 2010


Welcome to another Monday morning!  Since last Monday was Labor Day, I chose not to labor on my blog, so this is a review of my reading for the last couple of weeks.

Books I finished:








The Midwife's Tale, by Gretchen Moran Laskas
(Review coming soon!)






Next on my literary horizon:

The Chalk Circle Man, by Fred Vargas



When strange, blue chalk circles start appearing overnight on the pavements of Paris, the press take up the story with amusement and psychiatrists trot out their theories. Adamsberg is alone in thinking this is not a game and far from amusing. He insists on being kept informed of new circles and the increasingly bizarre objects which they contain: empty beer cans, four trombones, a pigeon’s foot, four cigarette lighters, a badge proclaiming “I Love Elvis,” a hat, a doll’s head. Adamsberg senses the cruelty that lies behind these seemingly random occurrences. Soon a circle with decidedly less banal contents is discovered: the body of a woman with her throat savagely cut. Adamsberg knows that other murders will follow.  (from Goodreads)


One Day, by David Nichols


Emma and Dexter meet for the first time on the night of their graduation. Tomorrow they must go their separate ways. So where will they be on this one day next year? And the year after that? And every year that follows? Twenty years, two people, ONE DAY. From the author of the massive bestseller STARTER FOR TEN.  (from Goodreads)


Bad Monkeys, by Matt Ruff

Jane Charlotte has been arrested for murder.
She says she's a member of a secret organization devoted to fighting evil. She says she's working with the Department for the Final Disposition of Irredeemable Persons—aka "Bad Monkeys."
Her confession lands her in the jail's psychiatric wing and earns her countless hours of poking, probing, and questioning by a professional. But is Jane crazy or lying?
Or is she playing a whole different game altogether? (from Goodreads)

Have a wonderful reading week, everyone!

5 comments:

  1. I wonder what you'll think of One Day. I've heard varying opinions about it. It does appeal to me, at first sight, though!

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One Day sounds great, like one of my favourite movies, Same Time Next Year, or even When Harry Met Sally... Can't think of a similar book, but movies are a passion of mine, so they're always at the ready :oD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read any of these, so I look forward to looking at the reviews and adding to my TBR piles. Have a wonderful week! My Mondays: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/09/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mostly picture books last week. Here's what I'm reading this week.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts...

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS